Our Training Center offers a range of certifications based on our program expertise. Through our leadership in aquatics, we have a long history of delivering trusted life-saving training for future lifeguards, swim instructors and staff and offer First Aid and CPR certifications. We have also provided mental health services since 1982, and are proud to help train others in Mental Health First Aid to build support in the community.
Courses can be run at your location or a YMCA-YWCA of Winnipeg site with no extra room rental fee charged.
By choosing the Y for your training, you help support a range of initiatives that are part of our work in Building Healthy Communities.
Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid has been shown to build mental health literacy, decrease stigmatizing attitudes, and help participants identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illness.
Learn to recognize the signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis and how to provide initial help and guide the person to appropriate professional resources. Training covers four of the most common and most stigmatized mental health disorders, including signs/symptoms, risk factors, and crisis first aid for specific situations:
- Substance-Related Disorders: Crisis First Aid for Overdose
- Mood-Related Disorders: Crisis First Aid for Suicidal Behaviour
- Anxiety and Trauma-related Disorders: Crisis First Aid for Panic Attack; Crisis First Aid for Acute Stress Reaction
- Psychotic Disorders: Crisis First Aid for Psychotic Episode.
The training does not teach participants to become therapists or counsellors. Rather, it provides the skills, knowledge, and attitudes that allow someone to offer effective first aid intervention
Mental Health First Aid Course Delivery
The course begins with a self-directed module (Module 1) that is completed online. Module 1 focuses on the information and strategies that participants will discuss and practice throughout the classroom modules (Modules 2 and 3). Course participants are required to complete Module 1 before participating in Module 2 and 3. Modules 2 and 3 can be offered as a full day or two half days.
- Public Courses (in-person-max 25 participants or virtual-max 15 participants): $215 per person. Additional $40 for the printed resource book (optional).
- Next Public Course Date To Be Announced
- Closed Courses (for your group only): $2000 base fee for groups plus $75/person.
- Contact us to arrange courses for your group
To learn more or to register call 204-989-5890 or 204-989-4194 or email email@example.com.
All fees are subject to GST.
First Aid and CPR
Standard First Aid with CPR C (Adult, Child, Infant) provides CPR skills for those who need training due to work requirements or who want more knowledge to respond to emergencies at home. You will learn emergency first aid skills as well as how to respond to sudden medical emergencies, head and spinal injuries and environmental emergencies. A manual and a certificate are provided upon completion of this 2-day training.
- Public Course: Saturday & Sunday, October 14 & 15, 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM; South Y; Enroll Online
- Public Course: Saturday & Sunday, December 9 & 10, 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM; Elmwood-Kildonan Y; Enroll Online
Emergency First Aid is an 8-hour course for people who want general knowledge of first aid principles and the emergency treatment of injuries. The course includes CPR C and AED training and is recognized by Manitoba Workplace Health and Safety. Certification is valid for three years.
- Public Course: Sunday, November 19, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Elmwood-Kildonan Y; Enroll Online
with Cordella Friesen
November 3, 10 & 17 9am-10:30am (CST) Online
Machinery of government refers to the structures and process of government and how they work together to deliver results to the public. In this course, you’ll learn how government is structured and what it means for non-profit, and non-government organizations, how government makes decisions and how to navigate government bureaucracy. Understanding the machinery of government can support effective communication, relationship building and identification of funding opportunities with government. Limited spaces available. Register by October 27.