At Y Winnipeg, we believe that supporting positive fitness habits early, and including the whole family, helps build confidence, self-worth, healthy body image and a desire to get up and move!
The Youth Fitness Orientation
This customized youth orientation helps younger members safely access our fitness area and begin positive fitness habits. The orientation provides guidance to begin a lifetime of healthy, efficient, and smart fitness training. Youth members aged 9-12 attend a 30-minute session with a member parent to learn which fitness equipment is best suited for them, how to use that equipment, what is expected in the fitness centre, plus general training principles. After the session, youth get a shoe tag allowing use of the fitness centre. While there, youth must wear the shoe tag and be supervised at all times by the parent who attended the orientation.
Call us today to book your Youth Fitness Orientation!
|West Portage Branch||204.889.8052|
Get off to a good start with the following etiquette and training tips…
Quality vs Quantity: No one gets strong overnight so don’t go straight for heavy weights! Start light, perfect your form, and move up in slow steps.
Core Stability: Your core is a network of muscles around your midsection (not just the abs!) that allow for power & movement when trained properly. Rule of thumb – stability first, movement second!
Cardio: Don’t skip cardio! Did you know cardio health is the foundation for all exercise and movement, including strength training? Use a variety of machines – this will push your body to use different muscles and will challenge your cardio endurance. Try doing 15 minutes on a bike then hop onto a rowing machine for another 15 minutes.
Flexibility/Mobility: A long muscle is a strong muscle! When a muscle gets tighter, it also gets shorter which can lead to injuries. Stretch after each and every workout.
Technique: Improper technique (aka form and follow-through) while performing an exercise, could potentially injure your muscles and joints. If you can’t keep the proper form throughout the entire exercise…stop…reset…and try again. You may also need to adjust the amount of weight until your technique is perfect. Remember, start light, perfect your form and move up in slow steps.
- Use equipment at your discretion and as recommended by Y Fitness Staff.
- No food or open drinks are permitted in the gym. Keep water in resealable containers to prevent any spills.
- Appropriate, non-revealing, clothing and runners are to be worn at all times throughout the fitness centre.
- Music is great to workout to, but please wear headphones as a courtesy to fellow members.
- Photography of any kind is not permitted within all areas of the Y. Member privacy and protection is very important to us!
- Wipe down equipment with provided cleaners after each use to keep those germs at bay.
- Respect that everyone has equal access to equipment. Invite and allow other members to “work in” on equipment between sets and reps.
- Store personal belongings (such as jackets and outdoor shoes) in a locker, consider keeping valuables at home just in case.
- For your safety and the safety of those around you, don’t drop the weights….your toes will thank you!