A Healthy Space for Everyone
Please know that decisions by the Y continue to be based on fact and recommendations from the World Health Organization, Public Health Agency of Canada and the Manitoba government. Rest assured, we have been in direct communication with provincial health authorities, specifically asking about our facilities and programs, and have followed any recommendations they have given, which includes modifying our service offerings in order to promote social distancing.
Update as of March 18, 2020
- Health, Fitness & Aquatics branches closed March 16 at 6 pm. All accounts have been placed on hold and no payments will be withdrawn until we resume normal operations. The tentative re-open date is Monday, April 13, 2020.
- The Province of Manitoba has directed us to close our child-care centres at 6 p.m. on Friday, March 20. All child-care accounts will be put on hold, with the exception of those to whom we are still providing care (essential services personnel), and no payments will be withdrawn until we resume normal operations. We do not have a re-open date at this time, as that decision will be dictated by the Province of Manitoba.
- The North Y Youth Centre closed March 16 at 6 pm. The tentative re-open date is Monday, April 13, 2020.
- On-site community programs closed March 16 at 6 pm. The tentative re-open date is Monday, April 13, 2020.
Update as of March 16, 2020
Today we made the choice to close our health, fitness & aquatics branches, as well as our on-site community programs and our North Y Youth Centre. View the announcement here.
Update as of March 14, 2020
We recognize that the COVID-19 situation is constantly evolving and we are committed to staying informed about the situation, taking our guidance from the government and public health authorities and implementing any required measures to prevent the spread of illness at YMCA-YWCA facilities.
At this time, we are not privy to the reasoning behind the City of Winnipeg’s decision to close municipal facilities and, at this point, we have not received any guidance from public health authorities that it is advisable to close our facilities at this time. Rest assured, we continue to closely monitor the situation.
In alignment with the health authorities’ recommendation to increase physical interpersonal distance, the following measures will immediately be in effect at our Health, Fitness and Aquatics facilities:
- Capping the size of group fitness classes
- Increasing the space between available cardio equipment
- Closing the hot tubs and steam rooms
- Postponing Advanced Aquatics exams
In addition, out of an abundance of caution, we will also be closing the following high-touch items:
- Play structures
- Inflatable bouncers
- Climbing wall (West Portage)
Help us keep our community safe. We continue to ask you to:
- Stay at home if you are experiencing coronavirus symptoms or have concerns you may have been exposed to the virus, and
- Be vigilant about maintaining proper hygiene practices in our centres.
March 12, 2020
As a community-based organization committed to health and wellness, we have always taken pride in creating a clean, safe and healthy environment for our members, guests and staff. You may notice some additional health & safety measures in place:
- We are closely monitoring communications from the Public Health Agency of Canada and the World Health Organization
- We have advised Y staff and members to follow the basic flu-season guidelines (as recommended by public health agencies) for preventing respiratory illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If no tissue is at hand, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using peroxide-based or bleach-based cleaning sprays or wipes.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- We have communicated these guidelines in our member e-newsletter, emails to members and staff, and signs throughout the building.
- We have posted signs throughout the building reminding members to wipe down equipment before and after use.
- In addition to our existing hand sanitizer stations located throughout the building, our maintenance staff has installed an additional hand sanitizer dispenser in the lobby. They have also placed bottles of hand sanitizer in key locations throughout the building.
- In addition to our usual attention to cleanliness, our membership team, every hour, is using hospital-grade disinfectant to clean the member service desk, lobby tables, and lobby door handles.
- Our fitness staff is wiping equipment in the cycling studio after every class.
- Our fitness staff is wiping surfaces and equipment in the fitness centre and group exercise studio three times a day.
This new virus requires caution and preparation, but we are hopeful that these measures will help prevent the spread of coronavirus and other respiratory illnesses in our facility. We urge our members and visitors to join us in keeping our Y community healthy and safe.